Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Handing out Flyers

So it's good to know that it is hot at 8:00 am as well as 7:00 pm. Today I handed out flyers in front of a state office building for an hour and a half before work started. Apparently it is a favorite spot, somebody told me that a County Commission candidate was there the day before and another couple of candidates have been standing there in the past couple of weeks. At least it's a popular spot. It was particularly wretched because we were surrounded by little flying gnats (my campaign manager actually had one fly in her mouth while she was talking to a voter). Also a loud riding mower was mowing across the street, and a train went by, and for a while I felt like I couldn't hear myself think. One guy said he wasn't going to vote for me because I'd had breast cancer. Two people said thank you for running. Several people seemed reasonably interested. One person asked an intelligent question about election vs. appointment. About 200 people took a flyer. We were pretty careful to ask people if they voted in Leon County before we gave them one of our precious flyers.

The absentee list came out yesterday so I was frantically trying to get the mailers going. Much better to have so much money you can send an introductory piece to every primary voter and not have to run around like a chicken with your head cut off the day the ballots go out. Off and running to deliver signs and flyers to a supporter.

No comments: