Thursday, August 24, 2006

Am I doing enough?

No. But it's probably not possible.

Back in the spring I had breakfast with a guy who used to run Florida political races for a living and he told me that because my name recognition was so poor that I just needed to work steadily for months, that a single burst at the end wouldn't do it for me. We have worked steadily, but it seems that the general population has only been interested in the race for the past four weeks. Additionally, traditional campaigning doesn't address the fact that a greater and greater share of the electorate votes early or absentee. So there are complexities that really aren't being addressed in the literature yet.

I am becoming a sign waving addict. Although I suspect that I could stand out there with a sign that says, "Free the elves" and people would still honk and wave, I just love standing out there and waving and smiling and holding up my sign. So far I've been out with different friends every day, and most of them are sort of taken with how much you learn, just by looking at people who are driving by and smiling and waving at them.

No comments: