Saturday, July 29, 2006

Walking with an Entourage

Today I went door to door with a reporter and photographer from the Tallahassee Democrat following me. Needless to say, at first it was a trifle unnerving, but after the first little while it wasn't bothering me any more. The reporter has just started with the paper, and it was the photographer's last day, he's got a full time job at the Chicago Tribune. He's from Chicago, and has been on a paid internship here at the Democrat, so he was one happy fellow. He told us stories of other political campaigns he'd followed, including three months following Senatorial candidate Barack Obama. I was particularly impressed with the photographer because he is the product of the Chicago foster care system. Talk about a survivor.

A guy I know gave us all ice water in paper cups, so we could take them with us and suck the ice as we walked. He did it even though he is supporting one of my opponents, which made me feel like at least people are not opposed to my presence in the race, which was not the feeling I had when I started this process.

It was Saturday, so there were 6 of us going from house to house in the blazing heat, plus the two young people from the Democrat. People had to think we were mad.

My girlfriend Tequisha Myles is visiting from Broward, and told us stories about when her dad ran for Mayor when she was an undergraduate. I know James will always remember this summer, if only because we all worked so hard. After we walked, we wrote postcards until our arms ached. The absentee ballots go out next week. There is no time to lose.

No comments: