Saturday, July 08, 2006

Busy

My colleagues are already on full time leave from their jobs. Since my immediate supervisor is leaving to go to private practice, I will take full time leave starting when he departs. There are no longer typical days. Every day I have some sort of administrative stuff to do, following up on spreadsheets, responding to e-mail, planning. Most days I also meet people, either by going to where groups of people are, or by going door to door. Some days I have several events in a day, and this happens increasingly. So it's probably time to stop trying to crush work into fewer and fewer hours a week, and just let someone else take over for a while, and help them as I can.

Yesterday I was at an volunteer event, and I met a woman who had lost her husband in the Vietnam War. She noticed my candidate's badge, and asked if I had known her son, Steve Seymoe. Steve had been the lawyer for Guardian ad Litem when I was a volunteer there. He was a lawyer at Ausley, McMullen, and a popular fellow, who died of a brain tumor a few years ago. I felt very sad that this woman had neither husband nor son, and honored that she was willing to volunteer to help others.

No comments: