Saturday, June 10, 2006

Defense Rests

Friday I did direct examination of two witnesses, made a lengthy profer, cross-examined the plaintiff's rebuttal witness, negotiated the jury instructions, and drafted the verdict form. It was the sixth busy day in a row. Now that the evidence is all in, on Monday my colleague Jon Glogau will do the closing argument (I did the opening) and the jury will take over. All week long the lawyers that we've met have been commenting about the fact that Jon and I work in the "Complex Litigation" unit at the Attorney General's Office. Jon says that our unit takes simple litigation and makes it complex. Although I will say that this inverse condemnation case, which during the six weeks I was on on the case raised highly complex issues of regulatory taking, comparative sales, and the limits of expert testimony did not arrive as a simple case. I think we've got a good jury, capable, and of course, since they are all from Monroe County, far more understanding of property prices and comparative properties in the area than I am. I came home this morning, but made Jon promise to call me the moment the jury goes out on Monday and then again the moment they come back.

No comments: