Monday, May 01, 2006

Name Recognition

Aside from the problem that nearly 60,000 voters will show up at the primary this September, and most of them never heard of me, my campaign has no problems. This weekend my family and I went to the Master Gardener Open House, and gave people flyers. Then yesterday someone I know but did not see there said she saw one of my flyers at the open house. She politely did not mention whether she saw it because it was on the ground, or if she fished it out of the trash, where it resided with many of my flyers.

Actually, one of the great things about campaigning in the South of the United States is how polite everybody is. For example, I tell people my name and the office I'm running for, and instead of being told to go away, I am usually met with a polite response, or even a pertinent question. It is actually infrequent that people brush me off completely. Now, it is clear that they view me as slightly lunatic, but it is a fair view, as I am the one approaching complete strangers and asking them to vote for me. In September. For an obscure down the ballot race.

No comments: