Monday, May 29, 2006

My picture on the front page of the paper

Sort of. It's an overhead crowd shot, and even though I knew what I was wearing and where I was standing, I had a hard time finding myself. We went to a march commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Tallahassee bus boycot of 1956, which began the city's integration in earnest. James, who was standing in front of someone to my right, can't be seen at all. There was an interesting mix of ages, little kids from about James' age, middle aged people, people in their 20s, and some old people. It was tremendously hot, probably mid-nineties at 5:00 pm. We were, for the most part able to stand in the shade, and I liked walking along and singing "We Shall Overcome." My kid did not know the song. It was important to me to take him to this event because I want him to know that he's from a place that used to be very different. I know it's inconceivable to him to have a segregated classroom, but I want him to know. I want him to see. I saw several people I knew there, Lee Cardice, Fred Lee, and Brenda Hawkins, and it was nice to see them. The elected officials and the pastors led the march. Since I am neither, James and I walked along with everybody else.
http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

No comments: