Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Real Candidate

I felt like a real candidate yesterday. Jim and James and I went over to the Courthouse for the last day of early voting. It was very festive. The people who had been diligently sitting there for the previous two weeks were happy because it was their last day and because they were having higher traffic than on any previous day. I was happy because I was the only candidate there and I feel confident that I picked up a few votes. After all, most people come to vote for someone higher up the ballot, and since they are voting, they might as well vote for me. We came loaded up with lawn chairs and signs and a cooler of water, and stayed a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon. It was fun, and we went swimming and had lunch in between shifts so it wasn't a burden.

Jim and I were talking last night. We both feel like we did everything we could do to make a credible run. I think we're both proud of that. It's one thing to say you are going to run on principle, and another thing to do it well.

No comments: