Saturday, September 02, 2006

Last Days

The election is in three days. I spent an inordinate amount of time organizing people for election day, and now discover that I spent no time planning what to do over the long weekend. Surely there must be some voters left in the city.

I got my monthly cell phone bill, between Jim and I we made over 1500 minutes of calls. That doesn't count the time I spent on our home phone. Amazing.

The Democrat ran an article this week that addressed the voting record of candidates, to wit, whether they voted regularly in elections or not. What I couldn't get through the head of the reporter was that it gave the home field advantage to candidates over 50, because it reported only elections after 1988 for every candidate. This permitted showing candidates over 50 with a high turn out rate for the polls, because their voting record for their teens and twenties was omitted. For candidates in their 30s, their voting records looked terrible, because it included the early years of their voting, which for 80% of the voting public, is usually pretty terrible (this is why polling stations near the University usually have 18% turnout in primaries). For example, I haven't missed an election since my early thirties, but the paper showed a 66 percent turnout rate. One of my opponents, who also hasn't missed an election since his early thirties, had a 98% turnout rate, because they didn't start counting until his mid-thirties. The Democrat's reporter told me sanctimoniously that they stood by their methodology. In 30 years, this won't matter, but for the time being, older candidates are favored because their early voting years are ignored.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that you could focus on something positive for once. You should be proud to be even in the running for a position that represents Leon County. Rather you continually post negative blogs and quite frankly seem to be whining. I have spoken with more than a few people who are bored with your rants and thus will be focusing their support on other candidates. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a pretty clever observation about what the newspaper is doing. Bravo for that bit of numeracy. If more people would understand these things we'd have a better democracy.

uk bondage stories said...

Two. My wife will be in tonight.
true gay teen sex stories
dog and incest sex stories
bisexual beastiality stories
xxx adult animal sex stories
secret masturbation stories
Two. My wife will be in tonight.