Thursday, April 13, 2006

Door to door to door

Since I have now gathered enough petitions to qualify, I decided that we should start canvassing door to door to raise my pathetic name recognition. I enlisted my son, James, who turned 7 on Sunday to assist in our first venture. Not wanting to strain ourselves, plus it was a school night, plus I wanted to eat supper first, I had a list of 11 houses to visit. James and I got on our tandem bike after supper, we rode about 20 feet, and James announced that he had forgotten his helmet. So we stopped and went back in, because I realized I'd falso orgotten my name badge. We got back on the bike and rode around the corner, and James dropped our flyers, which promptly scattered all over the road. James held the bike while I picked them up, some were run over by cars and had gravel imprints on them

Finally we made it down to the end of the street, and knocked on our friend Cheryl's door to tell her we were going to leave our bike in her yard, but we woke her up because she was having a little snooze and I felt terrible.

Then we went to the first house. The couple there were very nice, and they said they would put a yard sign up for us, which was a good start. We knocked on a total of six doors. One person wasn't home. One person didn't answer. One family sent their children out, but wouldn't talk to us. Two other people did talk to us, and asked questions, but wouldn't put a sign in their yard.

Then it was quarter to eight and we had to ride home before it got dark. All that effort and we only talked to four voters. And got gravel imprints on the flyers. And James and I were super tired the next morning. I'd planned to knock on 20,000 doors. I think I need a new plan.

No comments: