Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Learning to Teach

I have made a seating chart so I can keep people straight. I have butchered the names of some of my students so badly that one took an English name today in self-defence. She's named herself, "Apple." I find the long reach of California astonishing.

This morning the students all had to get up and give a short chat about their major. The University of Nanjing is a highly competitive engineering and technology school. None of my students is from Nanjing.

When they take entrance tests, they designate 6 possible major fields, and order their preference. Then, depending on their grades, (and, I suspect, the class needs of the school) they are placed in one of the six fields. One young woman's sixth choice was environmental engineering, she is studying water quality. I told her that she has extremely important work and by the time she retires, it will be her first choice.

There is another young woman studying weapons technology, several young men studying power engineering, one industrial engineer, one human resourses management student, and one lone English major, who hopes to be a translator. I was sort of interested to hear that in power engineering, the men outnumber the women by almost the same percentage as in the United States.

Our textbook is very focused on working on the cultural translation problems people have in a new country. I'm supposed to keep them focused on the issues one must consider when approaching any new culture, but they (and Sarah) have a tendency to focus only on the differences between American and Chinese culture. This is fun, but I'm trying to get through to them that the majority of English speakers speak English as a second language, so they will have significant barriers to communication.

After seven or eight years of English study, these students are strong readers and writers, but relatively weak speakers of English. We'll see how far we can get in the next three weeks.

Classroom conversation are far ranging. Today we touched on American views of weapons ownership, standardized testing in China and America, and China's one child policy. The students are highly intelligent and have insightful ideas, but feel frustrated in their attempts to express themselves in English. I'm pleased when they try, and try to make them slow down so that they are easier to understand. Pity that teaching pays so poorly, I can see the attraction.

2 comments:

tedhsu said...

Making sure I knew how to ask for where the toilet was, and wanting to understand the answer was always a big motivator for me for learning to speak some of the language of a foreign country I was visiting.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I LOVE this BLOG!
Your excellent writing style, and attention to detail makes me feel like I am there in the restaurant with you as the Chinese folks gather around you & your children for a closer look! You must be having QUITE the time!

MANY thanks for sharing this excellent & unique experience with not only your children, but with us as well.
I am LOVING it!
Bob O'Lary
ps. Can you post digital photos?