Monday, August 06, 2007

Chinese Chess

While I am teaching class every morning, James goes to Chinese classes. One of the things he's learned is to play Chinese chess. It's played on a board similar to a chess board, but with some patterns on it. The pieces look like checkers with writing on them (hallmarks of a literate civilization, you don't have to be able to read to play Western chess). Instead of putting the pieces on the spaces, you put them on the intersections of the lines. The pieces move in different ways, James has explained it to me, and tried to make me play, but I don't enjoy chess, Western or Chinese, so he plays at school.

On our way to the grocery store, there is often a game of Chinese chess going, and James likes to stop and watch for a few minutes. This has attracted attention, so last night he was invited to play against another little boy, who is 11. James is 8. James lasted a long time, I was very proud of him. Various passers-by provided suggestions, even bending down and moving the pieces for him, which I gather is typical no matter who is playing.

There were five little boys watching, squatting down on their haunches, making suggestions and speaking slowly and loudly to me in Chinese, as though that would make me understand. It was quite funny.

James played soccer with a couple of boys while I was taking Tai Chi class yesterday. Many children speak a few words of English, and James now has some Chinese, so they find a way to play together. I'm happy to see him reach out to play with other kids. Sarah is thick as thieves with a number of my students, and I feel like the reason I came has been fulfilled.

I wanted to do something other than tour around and see sights. I wanted my kids to experience the culture in a way you can only do in one place. To meet other kids their age and try to communicate with them, to see and talk to people who are not exactly like them.

No comments: