Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mentor

Nearly ten years ago, I started supervising the law clerks in my unit. I'm still in touch with many of the clerks, I think of them as "my" clerks, although they worked for the entire unit. Today I was talking with one who worked for me the first year I was supervising. He has various claims about my supervising. First, he claims that I said my standards were as follows: Show up on time, don't be drunk. I view this as a slight exaggeration. Second, he says that the first day he arrived, I told him I was glad he was there and to draft a motion in limine. Which was fine with him, except he didn't know what a motion in limine was.

He survived working with us during the first jury trial the unit had done in many years. Now he is a very important person in state government, and I have enjoyed watching him rise over the past ten years. He says I am his mentor. I think that is, once again, an exaggeration, for he was going to do well no matter what. I truly believe that. There are people you can drop to the bottom of the well, and they will be just fine. He is one of those people, but I enjoy the flattery nonetheless, and enjoy keeping up with him, and putting in my two cents whenever he is contemplating a change.

The first in his family to go to college, I'd like to see him consider the bench, but he has spent more and more of his time in administration. All of which is a rambling way of saying that I miss supervising law clerks, miss their youth and enthusiasm for the law, and wish that I could have some around on a regular basis again.

No comments: