Monday, November 14, 2005

Veteran's Day

Last week my first grade son brought home a form from school, asking him to list all of the veterans in his family. I asked him who were the veterans in our family, and he said, "Nobody. I don’t know. Grandpa?" I was quite surprised that he didn’t know I was a veteran. So on Veteran’s Day I took him to the American Legion breakfast, where we were greeted like returning prodigal family members and invited to ride on the float. During the course of the day, I spoke to veterans from World War II to the Gulf War, and I was struck by two things: First, I felt sincerely welcomed by every veteran I encountered, which was a sea change from my experience as a female Navy avionics technician in the 80s; and second, with the passing of the Greatest Generation, the smaller group of veterans that follow them will have to take their place in the ranks of Veteran’s organizations to ensure that those who serve are not forgotten. I hope that other veterans here in Leon County will reach out to do their part in the coming years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many of us will always remember, but it is up to us to make sure the younger generations remember, and honor, those who have sacrificed lives, family memories, limbs and peace-of-mind to make sure we, and our liberties, are preserved. Thak-you Lisa, for being willing - even at a young age - to make a difference. And especially for sharing that with your child.