Thursday, November 24, 2005

Turkey Trot

In my first race since I had breast cancer earlier this year, I ran the 5k at the Turkey Trot this morning. My family came, 6 year old James and I did the 1 mile first, and then I ran the 5k by myself. Well, by myself with about 1500 other people. I talked to a guy who said that last night there were over 1800 entrants for all four distances (1 mile, 5k, 10k and 15k), and there had to be a couple of thousand people there today. It was amazing. I ran well, for a duffer, every split was better than the last, I finished at about 30 minutes and was very happy. At about 2 miles I started thinking about how lucky I was to even be running and got a bit choked up, but collected myself and ran on. I felt glorious as I waved at Jim and James before I ran into the chute.

The weather was spectacular, David Yon is a race organizing genius, I saw scores of people I knew, and then went off and ate an enormous breakfast.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: