Tuesday, March 28, 2006

F.I.R.E.

FIRE stands for the Florida Institute of Rehabilitative Education, which means it's the local charity that serves blind people and people who are visually impaired. I've sat on the Board of Directors since 2002. As usual with "good" works, I get more out of it than I put in. For example, I'm continually impressed by the drive and dedication of people whose lives have been affected by vision loss. I'm distressed by the limits, frequently irrational, that the sighted place on the blind, particularly in the area of employment. And I rejoice in our successes. Yesterday, local government officials voted to put a sidewalk on a major street to improve access to FIRE for visually impaired citizens.

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060328/NEWS01/603280338/1010

No comments: