Friday, February 17, 2006

The Civitan Club

One of the things I do for my job is give talks about consumer law to civic groups. Yesterday I gave a talk to the Tallahassee Civitan Club, and they had unusually cogent questions, including one from an engineer about weighing science questions in the courtroom. Just as I was winding up the questions, a member said, "A couple of hours ago, a man asked me to sign a petition for his wife to run for judge. Are you running for judge?" And I, embarrassed, said that yes I was, but that I couldn't talk about it now because I was on company time. He said that he wasn't on company time and that he thought I'd be a good judge. So, indirectly, my husband probably got me twenty votes by standing outside a state office building asking people to sign petitions to get me on the ballot.

No comments: