Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Soccer Mom

Now I am a soccer mom. On Wednesday I leave work fifteen minutes early so that I can pick up my kid and deliver him to the soccer field by 5:30 pm. I stand on the sidelines with the other soccer parents and watch the kids practice, and try to keep warm. The temperature today is 52 degrees and falling. At least I don't worry about the kids becoming over heated. I talk to the other parents as we watch our children chase after the ball and wonder whether I will really be doing this for the next ten years. At a minimum, I refuse to buy a van.

It makes me think about Patrick Fitzgerald, the Special Counsel leading the team that recently indicted "Scooter" Libby. One of Fitzgerald's friends said he was so involved with his work that he put lasagna in the oven and forgot about it for three months. Such quaint stories are never told about soccer moms. I am a Special Counsel at the state level, currently heading a RICO investigation into a billion dollar corporation, but I still have to leave 15 minutes early on Wednesday to take my kid to soccer practice. The rest of my life would not take kindly to being forgotten about for three months.

No comments: